Wednesday, March 5, 2008

You´re Going Where??

This was the general reaction I got when I told people I was going to Colombia. ¨Kidnapping is the national sport¨, ¨I don´t have enough money for bail if you get kidnapped Christina.¨, ¨Are you sure you want to go there?!¨ were a few of these comments. My dad specifically sent me an email with a State Department warning saying - DO NOT GO TO COLOMBIA CHRISTINA. But I heard nothing but excellent reviews from my fellow backpackers and besides, since when do I listen to what my Dad tells me anyway? :) I was greeted with nothing but kindness from the Colombians which sadly, I know isn´t always the case in the US. I was completely blown away by Colombia and while it was the country I spent the least amount of time in, it was by far my favorite. You feel like a visitor instead of a tourist. You can´t buy a postcard in most of the cities and people are constantly asking you why you are there, as if they are surprised themselves. There is real character in the cities and the landscape is gorgeous. The tourist boom is just starting there because of increased security and while the FARC is still active in Colombia, you just have to be smart and realize where it is you can and cannot go. Hool, Jules and I boarded our flight from Quito and arrived in Cartagena. The balmy air was a welcome change from the chilly weather of Quito. The next day we hit the beach where we were whistled and hooted at on every corner. I will miss this flattery back home in the States. Of course it is a joke, because the Colombian women are gorgeous!

Cartagena is the most touristy city in Colombia but it still has an old, authentic feel to it. Walking down the streets you see beautiful old buildings of every color, men pushing carts of plantains, tailors working at old metal sewing machines, and lots of fresh fruit & smoothies stands. We took advantage of these whenever we could!


The ladies enjoying some smoothies. We met
up with my friend Sophie while in Cartagena.

A night out in the Old Towne.


The gate to the Old Towne in
Cartagena.


Met back up with my buddies Emma & Andy
who are always a good time!


More fruit! The Julies enjoying fresh fruit salad
on the beach from a friendly Colombian woman.


The girls at the Castillo de San Felipe a fort
built by the Spanish in the 1600s.


We love Colombia!


Exploring the tunnels underneath the fort.


The streets of Cartagena.


A Colombian church.

Old Towne Cartagena.

Last day in town.

Cartagena is a beautiful city full of life and character and we spent 2 great days there. Next stop was the small fishing village of Taganga to relax on the beach.
*This was my experience while in Colombia. I realize that the current conflict between Equador & Venezuela makes the situation more dangerous and I am lucky that I got to visit when I did.

No comments: