Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Sweet Reward

Day 4. I was awoken not by our 3:45 wake up call but from the rain pelting my tent for hours. We all dragged ourselves out of bed and ate some breakfast. If the weather did not clear up the view of Machu Picchu would not be the one I had envisioned. We trudged off into the dark with flashlights in hand and ponchos on. The sun gate is where you usually see your first glimpse of Machu Picchu but it was so cloudy and rainy we couldn't see a thing.


Not the best quality pic but it shows you how
we started the day.


Trying to stay positive.


But really, I was bummed and praying that the
weather would clear up.

When we first arrived, it was pretty foggy but not raining so that was a plus! Because we got there so early, we did have a lot of time for the weather to clear and sure enough it did. It was a little overwhelming because there were a lot of people there and it definitely felt touristy. But at the same time it is one of the most amazing things that I have ever seen. Being there you can completely see how the city functioned. You also realize how exhausting it must have been to get around. There are a hell of a lot of steps!!! Hilby our guide ended the tour by emphasizing to us that the Inka's strongly believed that you must take care of the land and environment around you. They treated their surroundings with great care and were careful to protect them. This message of conservation and respect for the environment was something that Hilbert wanted us to take home with us. And it is something that I can certainly relate to.


An amazing sight after 4 days - Machu Picchu.



The gang finally made it! A nice group photo
was nearly impossible....


Jules & I showing Hilby some love.


The crew.


Hard to take a bad picture there.


Not a whole lot behind me...good
thing I'm not afraid of heights!



The money shot.


A little delirious by the end.


Jules and I celebrating back in Cusco.


Fun times with our trail mates!

Jules and I spent one more day in Cusco before heading our seperate ways. She was headed to Sao Paolo to travel through Brazil while the time had come for me to go home. I had mixed feelings about it but knew that it was the right time. With no regrets, I boarded my plane to Lima and began my 31 hour journey home.

No comments: