Sunday, December 23, 2007

Brazilian Beach Hopping

Since I left Sao Paolo, Jules and I have been visiting the many beautiful beach towns on the Brazilian coast. First stop was Florianopolis. From there we took a bus to Ilha Da Santa Catarina. If you ever come to Brazil, it cannot be missed!! We went down to the very south of the island to Pantano Do Sul which was very remote, with not much besides small fishing villages. It rained everyday that we were there so we didn´t do much. The hostel we were staying at was owned by an Argentinian family who lived in a house in town and they left around 6 every night to go home so it was kind of like having a house to ourselves. The first night the 12 people that were there played some cards and hung out. But the next day everyone left except for these 4 Danish girls. So we ordered pizza and spent the night watching The Simpsons Movie and surf videos.

The beach at Pantano Do Sul.

After 3 days of being cooped up in our empty hostel in the rain, we decided to head north to Barra Da Lagoa which had a bit more nightlife. We arrived at the Backpacker´s Sharehouse and instantly I could tell this place had a good vibe. I cannot express how much I loved this place. Just a really great group of people at this hostel. They had a huge chalkboard on the wall with everyone´s name who was staying at the hostel. When you wanted a beer, caiprinha, water, you just put a B or W next to your name and they added it to your tab. The atmosphere was more like hanging out at your friend´s house than a hostel. When we arrived, it was still raining and everyone was drinking and playing BINGO and it got a little crazy!!


The Backpacker´s Sharehouse.


I got used to this view everyday.


The crew. Representing Australia, USA,
Sweden, New Zealand & England.

The next day a bunch of us hiked to a nearby beach. The guys wanted to go fishing and us girls were ready for a beach day. Little did I know that it was a nude beach and that I would be seeing the Brazilian men in their entirety. One was so comfortable that he was doing push-ups on the beach. I found this hilarious!!


Randy (Oregon), Me, Jules & Phil (England)
hiking to the nudy beach.


Such a fun day.


I opted for a bathing suit.


Headed home with a bucket of mussels and
some sunburn.

I got pretty burnt so I spent the next couple days tending to my abstract shapes of sunburn. Damn gringa skin! We went to a few beach parties and chilled at the hostel. On our last day, I met a Brazilian guy on the beach who invited us over for dinner. His roomate Dan (from Colorado) had bought some fish from a local fisherman so we met them in town and had to take a boat to their house since they lived on the canal. We spent the night cooking, chatting and shaking up caipirinhas. I will probably never see those guys again, but I will always remember that night. They were such great hosts.


Rowing to their apt. I love this mode of
transport.

Our friendly hosts showed us a great time.

I loved Barra Da Lagoa. At our hostel, once you were in you could stay as long as you wanted. You just had to put a star next to your name the night before. There were definitely a few nights we got talked into erasing our star. But eventually we left, with great memories and headed up the coast to the colonial town of Paraty.

No comments: