Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Big Ice

The main attraction in El Calafate, and possibly all of Patagonia is the Perito Moreno Glacier. While most glaciers in the world are retreating, the Perito Moreno Glacier is one of only 3 Patagonian glaciers that is advancing, up to 2 meters everyday. It is also constantly calving and breaking off, with large pieces of ice crashing into the water below. It was exhilarating! We had to wait a couple days to go on the`Big Ice´ trek that we wanted but it was well worth it. The other option was the mini-trek. Ha! We didn´t come all this way to do the mini-trek!


The mighty Perito Moreno Glacier.


Big Ice.


Me on the boat ride to the glacier.

We arrived by boat to the backside of the glacier and it was about an 1.5 hr hike to the base of the glacier. From there we put on our crampons and gear and headed off on the ice. It was unreal. I have never seen anything like it. It was really like being on another planet.


View from our hike to the glacier.


And this was the ´mini-trek.´


Me in front of a glacial pool. The guides didn´t
know the exact depth but it was deep!


Like walking on clouds (with big metal spikes!).


Lunch break on the glacier. What
else? Jamon y queso!


This was the largest crevace on
the glacier - about 50-60 meters
deep!

I am constantly saying, `That was the best thing I´ve done so far.´ But I have learned that it doesn´t last long here in South America. Every place is as amazing as the next. Still, I have a feeling walking on a glacier is definitely going to be at the top of the list! I am currently in Florianopolis, Brazil so I am a little far behind but I promise I will get this all updated soon. I´ve been having too much fun!

**Also, some people have been having trouble commenting on the blog. FYI, You don´t have to register to comment. You can hit anonymous and then just write in your name. I enjoy reading the comments and it lets me know that people are actually reading it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures were amazing! It really did look like you were walking on clouds! I can't wait to hear about your next adventure in S. America!

Anonymous said...

Christina,
I have been reading your blog every time you update it and the trip sounds so amazing! I kept thinking as I looked at the glacier pictures, "watch out!" You seemed so close to the edge :) I am so happy for you and this awesome trip. Thanks for all of the pictures and updates!--you are my little escape from high school teaching.
--Mardy

Anonymous said...

Christina,

Those pictures are absolutely incredible. Those colors are amazing. I agree w/ Mardy, you look like you are soooo close to the edge! Can't wait to see more. We definitely miss you.

Love you,
Colleen