Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Working in the Garden

Since I arrived in Quito on the 3rd, time has flown by. I am working at The Secret Garden hostel as a volunteer for the month. It is a pretty sweet deal. I work 48 hours a week and in return I get a free apartment, free food, free alcohol, free internet, 20 hours of free spanish lessons and discounts on trips in the area. You may be wondering why I would want to work on my vacation. But let me just say that working is in the loosest sense of the word here. Don't get me wrong, I have to check people in, check people out, serve dinner and breakfast and do dishes, but it is on the 5th floor terrace of the hostel with a beautiful view of the city. Half the time I am playing Cuarenta, an Equadorian card game that I will definitely be bringing back home. I also work with a cool group of people and get to chat with lots of interesting people from all over the world. It's pretty much the best job.


Sure beats the view from my old cubicle.


An overhead view of a nearby school.


First night on the job was BBQ night so we got
creative with the coal.


My fellow American Liz (Seattle) and
I working hard!


Breakfast and dinner are served everyday on
the terrace.


My new address - Calle Jose Antepara.


My apartment for the month.


Cuarenta!! Hours of our days are spent playing
this game. It's seriously addicting.


Every Wednesday night is Equadorian Night
with live music and traditional food.


Maria, Me, Sandra and Liz. These ladies sure
can cook and are so funny.


Natalie and I. Nat and I are roomies in the apt.

So yea, things here in Quito are great. Getting used to the altitude took a couple days but now I can run up and down the stairs without much effort. Quito is the second highest capital in the world at 9,350 feet so you definitely feel it. Everyday when I get up to the terrace to start work I look out at the stunning view and I am in awe of the beauty of this city. I am living in the Old Historic part of Quito and spend afternoons just walking down the cobblestone streets and through Quito's many parks. The people here are so friendly and genuine and are always asking me where I am from, how I like Quito, where I am going in Equador...I am headed to Guagua Pichincha tomorrow which is the volcano located in Quito. I am excited to get out of the city and do some serious hiking. Should be great!

No comments: